Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Danny just returned from a Sensitive Retreat

Dear Diary,

I’m sorry for being an (in)sensitive guy who’s been missing in action ever since this argyle explosion of love was launched. But there’s a good reason for my silence.

I was at a Sensitive Guy training retreat. You see – sometimes even the most Sensitive Guy (and let’s face it, I’m the most sensitive one in the bunch since I hug teddy bears and unicorns in public ALL THE TIME) needs to be reshown the ways of the Sensitive Guy. I love New York City as much as I love puppies and children, Santa Claus and Hanukkah Harry, but sometimes the city makes you a little crazy, and you feel a little less willing to give.

Well I’m happy to say I’m a new man!

At the Sensitive Guy Retreat, I learned how to refold my bed sheets into nice squares, how to arrange dinnerware and how to use just the right amount of fabric softener so that my girlfriend’s laundry is snuggly soft. I learned to appreciate that my teardrops taste like gum drops. They’re delicious. And I learned how to rake leaves with just the gentlest touch so that the leaves don’t cry.

And what is this about a girlfriend? Yes, Mr. Formerly Lonely Heart Bear has a girlfriend. But who is she? Let’s just say we share the same love for Care Bears (and their cousins). She’s the Bright Heart Raccoon to my Cheer Bear. The Optimus to my Megatron. The Misfits to my Gem. Without her I am nothing, crying alone into my knitted designer sheets. And sometimes when I think of her, I shower in rose petals and breathe in deep, envisioning being wrapped with her love.

But this is only because the Sensitive Guy Retreat reminded me that it’s ok to cry at Disney movies, it’s ok to love and, most importantly, it’s ok to give with all your heart.

I hope you have been giving with yours, this holiday season.

Do it for the turkeys, the turducken and the tofurkey,

Your Reformed Sensitive Guy

Danny Katz